Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Post ride thoughts: part 1

So I am back in the real world. I am sure I will have more to write about reverse culture shock and especially more to write about the people on the ride that I will miss but here’s a taste of what I am going through so far. I went to the gym today and got my ass handed to me in a lifting and spin class. Yes, that’s right spin was actually HARDER after I had 3,300 miles under my belt. It’s completely different and a whole different than challenge than bike riding outdoors but it is so nice to be back. My upper body is thanking me for giving it some attention because it has been neglected for the past 8 weeks. I gained 7llbs on this trip (granted some of it is muscle because my legs have definitely leaned out) but I am not surprised. Despite burning 3-4,000 calories a day, we are constantly eating to stay fueled, constantly talking about being hungry, and constantly day dreaming about food. Oh well, what would this trip be without eating like a king, that’s one of the reasons I did it. I eat healthy in my every day life and I wanted a time to indulge in more ice cream and pies in 2 months than I have had the past 4 years so I should be set for quite some time.  After having a overly dramatic freakout to Brett and my mom about the 7llbs, I have now reconciled that 7llbs was worth living the life I did this summer and that my normal routine will shed that weight and get me back to where I was pre-ride in no time…but I will miss my calves.


I drove, cooked, and slept in my own bed for the first time in 2 months today. I set off the fire alarm from the smoke of my turkey bacon and finished the salsa container, pretty typical. Even the smell of Buffalo seemed oddly comforting. I cannot wait to see my friends this weekend but I am a little hesitant to start school. Once my summer boredom sets in, which will be in about 2 days when I have nothing productive to do, I think I’ll be ready to get back into it. One more blog post will be on the way once I let this experience marinate but until then it will be pretty silent. Thanks everyone for reading, sending me mail, sending me kind words, and most importantly never letting me forget that I, or anyone, can do anything that I set my mind to.

No comments:

Post a Comment