Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 45: From Bedford, PA to Gettysburg, PA: 101 miles

Note the fog below the hills



Well today was the day that had me scared shitless since day 1 of this ride. From the start I have heard, "if you can get past the first day, then you can do this ride..and then there's Gettysburg." Well folks, I made it to Gettysburg and I think yesterday was more challenging than today. I also said to ask me after today's ride if choosing yesterday's climb was worth it, and it was. Today was great. Lots of climbs but all rewarded with descents. Yes, the mileage was long but if you think about it, I did just as much climbing as yesterday but had 13 more miles to accomplish it today. For me, I love steep grades and gaining as much elevation in a short time as possible. So, the "5 mile climb" at the end of the ride with very low grade was not very fun and kind of just felt as if I was going very slow with no summit to meet me at the top. However, this was the last challenge and then it was literally all downhill to Gettysburg.

The first checkpoint was strategically placed in front of a Starbucks so my turkey bacon brekkie sandwich and iced coffee (we ran out of coffee at camp this morning) got me until mile 50 where we had lunch. The first 40 miles consisted of steeper grades and bigger climbs while the last 60 were more rolling and less intense. The morning scenery left us with mountains covered with a low fog, a surreal picture that my camera could never capture. It was a great day of riding but I was so glad to have a rest.
Luke's diner upon arrival

For dinner, the Hanover Cycling club gave us chicken, backed potatoes, and corn on the cob at a local park. This is the first year we were treated (past riders have had 12 dollar night on this ride day), so I felt pretty special. At night, we went to the Blue Parrot and an Irish Pub that had 46 different types of whiskeys so needless to say we had a great time. Gettysburg is a cute town that is mostly touristy and historic with ghost tours, museums, horse tours but also has a great local scene with bars, diners, and boutiques in the village square.

On the rest day, my mom and Joe spontaneously decided to leave Buffalo a day early and meet us in Gettysburg. They got in around 2pm which left me plenty of time to sleep in (until 9:30am), get breakfast, get a tattoo,do some abs, and get lunch before they came. We went to Hoss Sea and Steakhouse which is Ponderosa x a million because of the HUGE salad bar with fresh bread, soup, and dessert for 7 bucks. Oh and did I mention you could add a 30c (yes cents) burger to that, which was not the McDonalds style thin as paper dollar menu burger but quite a hefty treat with an amazing wheat bun. Now on to the tattoo.

Although all the riders at one point in time expressed interest in getting a tattoo, only a few souls made the commitment. Jenny and Melanie, experienced tattoo getters came with me as well as Jeff, a first timer (as well as myself). Jenny's friend recommended the place so we all had an appointment at noon to get our ink. The experience is best described through pictures.

The shop

Nervous pre tattoo photo shoot

 My sketch off the necklace from Lo's mom

The procedures (Jeff, myself, Jenny, Melanie)




The finished products (same order)




All smiles after with our artist

My mom and Joe took Nelle and me on a horseback tour of the Gettysburg battlegrounds. It was so awesome to see this by horse and the trails (which were only accessible with the tour we went on) went directly through the heart of the fighting. My horse's name was Punky and he/she was truly a punk and tried to eat everything in sight, went off route to his favorite toilet spot (which I was forewarned about), and kept farting in Chip's (Nelle's horse) face. Over 55,000 people were killed in the battle and all the hospitals in Gettysburg were overflowing with amputated arms and legs outside their doors. It was amazing to have been where Lincoln delivered the famous Gettysburg Address ("four score and seven years ago...").
Joe and Stony

Nelle and Chip

Mom and Shiloh

Punky and I!


After riding, we rode around in the truck to look at some of the monuments. Some cyclists went on a 20 mile tour of the park but I was so happy to have a ride that I was not pedaling in order to give my legs a break (thanks mom!).

Hole in house made by cannon from the civil war, pretty damn cool






We had dinner at the Appalachian Brewery Company and three of us had an amazing pretzel coated chicken breast with veggies. For dessert, we got homemade ice cream at Mister G's..SO GOOD! This and the ice cream in Madison have been my favorite by far. Future riders, if you go you must order Ghost Tracks and the homemade waffle cone.



Time to retire in my dorm room. Pretty sure these rooms used to be part of a motel but are now part of Gettysburg college. Not the Ritz but I'll take a bed over a tent any day.

1 comment:

  1. You are almost finished......what BLOG will I read now??? boooo (sad face)

    ReplyDelete