Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 44: From Confluence, PA to Bedford, PA: 87 miles

Top Of Mt Davis





Today we had two options: continue along the YRT (trail we were on yesterday) or climb Mt Davis. Mt Davis would entail climbing 3200 feet in 30 miles with an extremely steep headwall of 14% grade and a wild dog to look out for at the top. It was somewhat cloudy so we were not guaranteed great views. I had been battling this decision in my head but this morning, I decided to do it...mostly because of the challenge although the climb and descent were both truly beautiful. Laura is the only other female rider who did the climb so we stuck together most of the way. Luke, Tim, Kendall, and Jeff E also chose the climb and I think we are all very happy in our decision, but ask me again after tomorrow's century and a bajillion more climbs. The other group expressed that the YRT was rather muddy and hard to navigate this morning which meant that both groups arrived at the first checkpoint around the same time and my fear of being behind everyone was soon put to rest.

Check out that grade! Way to go Laura!

Tim and Kendall



Cows Crossing!



Perfecting the Selfie in front of signs

The afternoon involved more climbing and by the end of the day we had climbed over 7,000 ft, which is the most in one day on this ride so far. I absolutely loved it. My heartrate soared, the sweat poured, and my legs feel like jello. But strangely enough, I love each one of those things and I got what I wanted out of today. I also hit 42mph on the descent, breaking my own personal fastest (which is still slower than those brave souls who do not brake on the descent).

Descents!


Pretty much the entire group decided to do a 7 mile detour (the ride was only supposed to be 80 miles) to see the memorial sight for Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA. It was surreal to see the field where the place crashed and the nearby town. The memorial included a talk given by the ranger, several signs about the facts of the crash (many which I had not known before), the graves of all those who died, and a tribute to the remains of the plane.

Luke and Chip (guest rider for a week--neighbor of John's)

Burial place of those in 9/11 plane crash in Shanksville, PA

Remains of the plane and site of crash

We had dinner in Friendship Village Campgrounds today (steak, broccoli, and salad) and the days of sleeping in my B+B are over. Must admit, I am so sick of putting up and taking down my tent so tomorrow's night rest at a dorm in Gettysburg will be amazing.

2 comments:

  1. You go Baby Girl !!!! The cattle pics made me smile. The 9/11 pics set a somber mood however glad you took the detour to pay tribute and it sounds like you were glad you did too. Continue to pedal safely. XXXOOO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. almost to the end..........hope you received the candy in Gettysburg :)

    ReplyDelete