Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 4: The day that made me a man


So Day 4 was only 77 miles from Odessa, WA to Spokane, WA (home of Gonzaga...i knew I picked them to win for a reason..it's where we are staying). Leaving Odessa, we were spoiled with dinner and brekfast cooked by the future business leaders of America and aside from being delicious,and great fuel, I realized how thankful I had become for food and how important nutrition is to keep me going.

We started the day at 55 degrees, light drizzle and the rain proceeded to come down and the temperature continued to drop until it had become 39 degrees. I had all the supplies that I was told to carry with me, unlike yesterday (they were in the gear truck and if they aren't on the bike you are SOL). I guess I didn't realize that "waterproof" booties for my cleats meant waterproof for the first 40 miles. Odessa gets 10 inches of rain PER YEAR but while we were there got 2.5 of that 10. By the end of the ride, I could pour water out of my shoes and ring it out of my gloves and cap. The good news is that despite being wet, I was warm. Once I accepted that, the ride was fine and the last 20 miles flew by but I will never forget the checkpoint at the first 25th mile, which seemed like an experiment of how many freezing cyclists you could shove into a van to blast the heat, give them more gear, and force them to eat fatty almonds and cashews to stay warm. We checked into Gonzaga University and had to sign our names and although I could move them, my fingers had lost all fine finger movement and I was unable to sign my name with the pen, unzip my jacket, or make a phone call until I had been inside for more than 40 minutes. But I did it, and thankfully Jenny was with me me to carry on conversation along the way.

Last night we had dinner in the cafeteria and went out to a bar to enjoy a few drinks and the NBA finals. Laura was a sweetheart and aside from making me the laugh the most out of anyone on the trip, graciously picked up the tab. We have become a small family and are open to talking about the struggles and challenges of what we are going through. Somehow, I find that I like doing this while in medical school, I really try to stray away from talking about how "hard" a subject is or how stressful a week is because I find that it makes it even harder to complete the work. I think with cycling, the key is to save the chatter about the difficulties until after the ride is completed. Then let loose with emotion but while on the ride, power through and inspire others to do the same. So, basically I cannot complain about school until the next 3 years are over.

Funny tidbit, a rider hurt his knee on the first day and apparently stopped in a VERY small town to see a physical therapist yesterday. He sweet talked his way into receiving free treatment in honor of our charity ride and even received a free T shirt. But the point of this anecdote is that he continued to ride after the appointment, after being hours behind, after losing his group of the day (people you ride with), and he finished and accompanied us to the bar after. That's my goal, to ride every mile possible (the van had to take a few riders some miles yesterday due to injury).

Today is a rest day and I plan on doing some yoga, led by our saint of a coordinator Lynn. Then getting some tasty breakfast, trying to get my camera fixed (the brand new one that I hit on my bike day 1 and broke the lens), picking up some wool socks, and getting a massage!! I need it, the upper shoulder pain was on my mind the entire ride, probably more than the freezing rain, so hopefully the masseuse can work her magic.


Here's a photo of me finishing. Even though I am smiling and able to finally move my thumb to an "up" position, I can tell how exhausted I look. That's our dorm room and Nelle has the other bed, couldn't have asked for a better roomie :)

That's her! Starbucks= civilization




 One IPA and one lemon drop please (2 in the case of Laura lol), but let me tell you 1 or 2 goes a long way on a day like today

No comments:

Post a Comment