Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pre Ride Jitters

Today I leave for Seattle and I spend 6 days before I take off for the Big Ride. A whirl wind of emotion is running through my head. It was raining in Buffalo when I left so sianora to that (although I think it’s supposed to be raining in Seattle). This last week at home has been entirely stressful and not what I imagined my first week off from medical school to be. It has been filled with ride preparations, training, and getting my research in order. I still have a few things left to do in Seattle and I hope to take a few hours one morning and finish it all so I can enjoy my time. I am happy to be done with peak training, mostly because I was getting bored of the same routes but I know in a few days I will be itching to ride again. Planning on doing a few shorter 30 mile rides in Seattle but no more centuries until we start, and day 1 is 91 miles. The fact that the routes are planned and every day is different is music to my ears and as far as the Rockies go, bring on the hills. I love the challenge and spinning has most definitely prepared me for these endurance rides. I am more worried about the flat days as my upper body starts to ache after 80 miles from being in the same position, but I think the mandatory 20-25 mile breakpoints will do me good (I usually only stop once on my rides).

I am officially a spokesperson for the Big Ride, and not to brag, but I think it’s a good choice! At least from a medical student’s perspective, I was already familiar with the statistics on lung cancer, smoking, and lung disease that the association familiarized us with. I am also excited to promote my story and continue my developing relationship with the press. I am so blessed to have raised $6500 from solely friends and family, no corporate donations, nothing even larger than $250. I have been referenced as the Obama of the ride and not to turn political, but I am in support of that reference.

Being in the Phoenix airport, I texted my mom a picture of my “airport food” lunch, a premade salad consisting of quinoa, kale, sunflower seeds, and grapes. God, I love the west coast, it was amazing and a million times better than anything the airport anchor bar could offer. In a way, I feel like I am going back home. California and Pomona has definitely been the place where I have spent the most amazing 4 years of my life and have learned the meaning of happiness and good people. I appreciate Buffalo from the experiences, good and bad, that have made me who I am but the West remains near and dear to my heart, and I am determined to make it back there for residency.

So here’s to a week of fun, relaxation, sightseeing, and catching up with one of my best friends. I am probably as excited for this week as I am the trip because last time I came to Seattle, I had an incredible time. Thank you everyone for your support whether it be words or donations, or both, or in the case of my mom and Joe words, donations, hugs, lots of nagging, lots of love, and a spiffy new camera. Pictures on the way, love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment