Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 22: From Kodaka, SD to Pierre, SD: 95 miles

We made it to the capital of South Dakota. Not much to say about this ride, I felt a lot stronger than yesterday and was leading the group until mile 88 out of 95 when Tim and Jeff passed me (really guys you couldn't let me have this one? lol). But with that said, I finished very early. Apparently our group had 13 flats before our lunch stop even happened. Luckily, I didn't get any, although I have clearly had my "flat" days in the past. It's bound to happen to everyone. There wasn't much to see (unlike yesterday) and I didn't take any photos with my canon but just a few with the iPhone.

                                                      This was one side of the road

And the other side (directly across)..the grass really was greener on the other side



                                       Missouri River--We crossed into Central Time today!



So during yesterday's ride ride, I thought about cycling and why it is and is not for me. I think once this trip is over, I will not be cycling as my means of exercise. I love and hate that weather plays such a major factor. Tailwinds can be a blessing and rain/headwinds can be a bitch...or a really hard workout depending on how you look at it. But for me, I like consistency (hence why I wake up at 5am to go to Lorna's sculpting class every Wednesday and Friday because I KNOW she will give me a good workout and the element of chance in selecting a worthwhile instructor is eliminated). At the same time, the weather makes cycling fun. interesting, risky, always changing. I had three different rides in one day yesterday because of it.  I am spending over 6 hours each day on a bike, burning thousands of calories (over 3500 for century days), and yet I really think I am gaining weight or just not losing it like you would think. My legs, however, are the most sculpted they have ever been and I finally have the cyclists calves that every girl dreams of (or at least this girl). But for me, this trip isn’t about losing weight and although it will be awesome to say I rode my bike across the US and show that I am an endurance athlete and physically fit, that also is not the point. 

If I do cycle after this trip, it will be on many smaller trips. There is nothing like seeing the world by bicycle, seeing the same scenery grow closer and change slowly, mile by mile. There is nothing like seeing the big blue sky above you and knowing you are one little dot in the center of the picture. It is truly incredible and why I am on this trip. But as far as exercise, I can get better results doing 2 bootcamps, 2 lifts, and 1 spin class a week for an hour each so I think I will stick to that routine. So if someone hands me a cue sheet (so I do not have to plan the route), hands me some time (because this sport requires about 5 hours for a good ride), and hands me a gorgeous landscape, I will gladly cycle my little heart out and appreciate life more every pedal stroke I take. But if I am looking to physically change my body, nothing will beat a 45 minute high intensity interval circuit.

2 comments:

  1. But Justin Timberlake LIVE doesn't follow your Bootcamps, Lifts and Spin classes does he????? Can't wait to see you in DC !!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to read your blog...appreciate your insight about yourself and your relationship with cycling. What you are doing is amazing and challenging. The Big Ride minimizes the element of play usually attendent with riding a bike. I hope your cycling future whatever it may be will help you to rediscover that play on a bicyle is not the sole province of children but there for all of us.

    ReplyDelete