Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 26: From Tyler, MN to New Ulm, MN

So today was pretty tough, mostly mentally because we pedaled 87 miles with another 20mph wind coming from the South and there was literally nothing to take my mind off the fact that I should have been going at least 5mph faster the whole time. I was just anxious to get to New Ulm so I barely stopped and had very short checkpoints. I ended up getting into camp before 1pm right behind Melanie who was the first girl to get in. After showering, laundering, and unpacking, we headed downtown and went to a German bar/restaurant where a lot of people ordered delicious burgers and brats while I stuck to my vodka gimlet. That night, Nelle and I went to the Grand Hotel to watch a live jazz band who apparently charges about $1500 per night when they play but since the venue acts as a restaurant, bar, AND local community art center, the show did not have a cover charge. The Southside Aces, as they were called, were pretty good and the food looked amazing so may have to head back there for dinner tonight. Then we continue our bar crawl and checked out Lamplighters Sports Bar and the Patio Pub and Grill. It was nice to be awake passed 8pm but we were still in bed by midnight.

                               The Grand Motel (Band is called The Southside Aces)

                                                            Nelle at Lamplighters

Today on our rest day, I slept in until 9am (woooho!), went to the fitness center for a quick upper body lift, cleaned my bike, did laundry, went to Schell's brewery and a German restaurant for dinner. The brewery is one of the oldest in the country, is family owned, and now brews 23 different beers. Under their last president (the previous generation), they only had 1 type...so big moves over the past couple of years. For $3 I got a tour, 7ish tastings (3oz each), and a full beer. Melanie and I were happy campers.

                                     This guy was casually hanging out at the Brewery


One of these guys makes 100 barrels or 38,000 bottles of beer


No comments:

Post a Comment