Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 34: From Garden Prairie, IL to Coal City, IL: 106 miles

Why did I post this? It's all I saw for 106 miles..or 108 if you count the 2 when I missed the turn

Everyone seemed to love today’s ride…that is everyone but me. Yes, it was ‘scenic’ if you count the same bright green corn fields for 106 miles and yes it was relatively easy but to me that just means 6+ hours on a bike to zone out and I realized if I zone for 20 minutes, I am lucky. I much prefer big days with climbs, challenges, sweating, and brief torture, rewarded with mountainous landscape and maybe some cooked corn at the end (which we did have tonight). Thank you Jenny for getting me through this one. I need a real mental strengthener for the next 4 days because I think they are going to be pretty similar and I am getting pretty homesick/antsy about getting back into my routine (even if that means medical school…), my workouts, and my final days of summer.


I am looking at this positively though and realizing how much I appreciate my current life which truly is an amazing feeling. Up until now, my more ‘spiritual’ moments of the rides have involved the realization that America and its people are truly beautiful and should be discorvered by all. I also wrote how I am thankful for being healthy and fit enough to do this.  I have also realized how easy it is to get to place by bicycle, whether it be 5 or 15 miles, and plan to incorporate this into errands such as going to the gym, going to pick up an item at the grocery store, etc.. Makes for cleaner air, fitter people, and a great message. Today though, the realization that my life is good, despite me thinking it’s stressful at times is rewarding. To understand that I actually miss school is kind of crazy but I know I am in the right place, in the right field, (word is still out about at the right school but it’s growing on me), and surrounded by an AMAZING support system. Speaking of, I want to thank everyone for their facebook comments and texts because they really do get me through the day and I need them now more than ever. I have been blessed with the best friends from Pomona (Claremont)  and Buffalo/Rochester and Melbourne that a girl could ask for.


Today dinner was quite the treat as we had a camp picnic with fresh deli sandwiches, quinoa, edamame, salad, corn on the cob, and amazing shortbread chocolate cookies and blueberry/peach fruit salad. We are staying at a privately owned camp/country club and got into camp in time to go swimming and diving at their beach before dinner. Olivia’s friend from England arrived today and will be riding with us for one week. One a sadder note, somebody stole my luxurious bathroom bag filled with a toothbrush that needed to be thrown out, toothpaste, a prescription and contacts (which is why I am mad), and minimal makeup (for rest days) that was almost gone so whoever you are, karma will get you and I looked better in that makeup than you ever will. Tomorrow is a new day, I hope for the best.

Boats and jet skis near our camp

No comments:

Post a Comment