Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 29: From Owatonna, MN to Winona, MN: 90 miles




Yesterday we enjoyed an all you can eat salad buffet from Hy Vee---the local grocery store around here. It was just below the caliber of Wegmans so needless to say it was pretty damn good and I slept like a baby. Today I could have rode my bicycle for another 30 miles. The afternoon was LOVELY, weather was perfect, sun was shining, and the scenery was great. We hit mile 2000 in St Charles, MN and were interviewed by the local news at a coffee place where we enjoyed shakes and smoothies. We had this strange but amazing transition from farm land to hilly forest Montana-like beauty. See below:

                                                            Farmland in the morning

And my cup of tea in the afternoon


Jenny coming down out steep 2 mile curvy descent--oh how I've missed climbing and descending



5 miles from camp, I spotted a town park/swimming area so we of course jumped in. Nelle, John, and Jenny had gone in a creek about 7 miles back but I was determined to find deeper water and luckily Melanie and Olivia were with me to share in the cool off.


                                                            Before: Hot and Dry

After: Cool, Wet, and Happy

Also on a creepily ironic note, we passed through Claremont, MN and then Rochester, MN...I was destined to live in Minnesota, which I will happily accept. The people. weather, scenery, and lakes here are great. Shout out to Pomona peeps and Rocho med students! Tonight we are staying at Winona State University which has accommodations better than a hotel. I am sharing a suite with Laura and we each have two huge rooms, a common area, fresh sheets, towels, and a giant bathroom for just the two of us. The dorm has a hotel-like elevator, lounges with cmofy chairs and couches on every floor, beach volleyball courts, etc ...ALMOST as amazing as Pomona...but I didn't see Dom's so not quite ;)





1 comment:

  1. Another MAKE ME SMILE sort of Blog :) Sweet dreams and a comfy good rest!!!!

    ReplyDelete