Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 30: From Winona, MN to Viroqua WI: 70 some miles








So the cue sheet for today told us we were going to be going 66 miles but we ended up doing over 70 (some people a lot more) in order to make a special stop. The morning started off hot because we left after 7am in order to eat breakfast in Winona State's cafeteria. The humidity was somewhat brutal but I did not notice it until we would stop biking and then the sweat would start pouring. We took a slight detour in the first 20 miles in order to tackle a steep 1 mile climb that ended up being very challenging but scenic and rewarding (just like our ride coordinator's told us it would be)! We then continued on to the Myer's house. Apparently, these two young girls had seen the Big Riders around 20 years ago, when the ride was MUCH larger (hundreds of bikers) because the route passed their house. They then decided to make a lemonade stand for when the riders came by every year. Eventually this turned into them hosting the riders at their house in lieu of our first check point and offering us fruit, veggies, hummus, and homemade muffins. They had an entire banquet display for us, equipped with photo books from past riders, rider paraphernalia including a book that a previous rider got published, guest books to sign and write comments in, an interview station, and personal photo cards that we got to autograph. We were truly celebrities.

                                                Nelle and I at the Myer's House



                                                                  Myers' Family


After my interview, which consisted of a series of recorded questions about the Big Ride, I got to pick out a homemade bracelet 



Found Ben's photo!


We continued the ride by crossing into Wisconsin (State #7) and across the Mississippi River. This was followed with another brutal 1.5 mile climb into Amish country. Everything was green, spacious, and beautiful. Every climb was followed by a fun descent and I finally hit 40mph today (even though the cue sheet said to take it easy---I was determined). We had our last checkpoint at a pond around mile 60. Ben, my friend from medical school who did the ride last year, had told me that today's ride was his favorite and there was a fun rope swing across the pond at lunch. Well, the pond was green and the rope swing ended up being too short to reach (it had broke) but the swim out to the other side was well worth it, quite refreshing, and I just chose to ignore the algae. Olivia, Nelle, Melanie, and I got some great shots with Olivia's waterproof camera.


 World's Largest 6 pack



 Note the green water

      We swam from the dock to the other side, found short rope swing, made sad face, and swam back



We rolled into town and cooled off at a local co-OP and I am currently sitting in a cafe that sells local meats and greens for 12 dollar dinner night. YUM.


4 comments:

  1. Cara Jean - your pictures and narration envelop me with an incredible SMILE and somewhat ease my worry-some fear as a MOM. What an incredible adventure for you ALL :) !!!!! XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your trip Cara and I too enjoy all the photos!!! I cross off each day and state that you complete on my BIG RIDE sheet :) keep up the good work.....getting together a candy box...maybe ship in Ohio........peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that you have more alcohol in your pictures, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool that you found Ben's picture too :)

    ReplyDelete